Due to the increased risk of wildfire in the region, the Pueblo Parks Group, which includes Bandelier National Monument, Fort Union National Monument, Pecos National Historical Park, and Valles Caldera National Preserve, will enter Stage II fire restrictions on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 8:00 AM. These restrictions are necessary to help land management agencies reduce fire risk and prevent wildfires.
Under Stage II restrictions:
• All fires are prohibited, including campfires, charcoal grills, and coal and wood stoves. The use of petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns, propane grills, or heating devices is allowed three feet or more from flammable material such as grasses or pine needles.
• Smoking is prohibited, except in enclosed vehicles or buildings.
• Welding or operating acetylene or other torches with an open flame is prohibited.
• Operating or using any internal combustion engine off paved or graveled roads is prohibited. Generators are allowed if equipped with an approved spark arresting device and used in an area that is barren or clear of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the generator.
• The use of all firearms and explosives are prohibited, including but not limited to, fuses or blasting caps, fireworks, rockets, exploding targets, and tracers or incendiary ammunition.
• The operation of motor vehicles off established roads, motorized trails or established parking areas is prohibited, except when parking in an area devoid or vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway.
Several criteria are used to determine when to implement fire restrictions, including fire activity levels, current and predicted weather, fuel moisture, and the availability of firefighting resources. Fire restriction criteria are routinely evaluated, and restrictions could be upgraded or downgraded at any time. Therefore, visitors should check the park’s website for alerts. Know before you go. Fire restrictions in New Mexico can be found at www.firerestrictions.us/nm and fire updates are posted on the New Mexico Fire Information website at https://www.nmfireinfo.com.