CWT Marker 14

The Battle Remembered – 1862 to the present day

In 1868, the people of New Mexico erected a monument on the Santa Fe Plaza honoring those who fell at the Battle of Glorieta Pass.  Its inscription includes the hopeful words: “May the Union be Perpetual.”  In later years, the Texas Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (1939) and Colorado’s State Historical Society (1993) erected monuments on the battlefield itself memorializing those who fought and died here.  Until recently, the battlefield was largely in private hands.  During the 1980s, however, the Glorieta Battlefield Preservation Society, Inc., assisted by regional Civil War re-enactors, The Council of America’s Military Past and The Conservation Fund, worked to preserve the Glorieta Battlefield.  They stabilized the fragile Pigeon’s Ranch building, staged annual reenactments, and hosted tours.  They

< Go To Previous Marker                        Go To First Marker >